Leg of Lamb
If you haven’t cooked a leg of lamb before, don’t be intimidated. It’s so much easier than you think. It’s fool-proof and fuss-free. And you don’t even need a long drawn-out ingredient list.
Shank On or Off?
Usually leg of lamb is sold without the shank attached; you are just buying the upper part of the leg, without the lower part. You can order a leg of lamb with the shank left on, simply referred to as “shank-on leg.”
Some people prefer this, as it looks more traditional and dramatic on a serving platter, but there’s no major advantage to having the shank (other than getting an extra soup bone!).
- Lamb meat is a high-quality protein source, providing all nine essential amino acids your body needs for growth and maintenance. It also contains varying amounts of fat — mostly saturated fat but also small amounts of CLA, which has several health benefits.
Roasting Temperature: 350°F
- Rare: 52’C (about 15 minutes per pound)
- Medium-Rare: 54’C to 57’C (about 20 minutes per pound)
- Medium: 60’C to 65’C (about 25 minutes per pound)
- Well-Done: 70’C (about 30 minutes per pound)
Roasted Leg Of Lamb
What you need
◦ 1 lamb leg bone in
◦ 6 cloves of garlic peeled and halved
◦ 5 sprigs of rosemary
◦ 1/2 cup olive oil
◦ 1 lemon
◦ sea salt
◦ white pepper
How you do it
Preheat your oven to 180c or 350f
Take your lamb leg and with a sharp knife make incisions or small pockets for the rosemary and garlic. About 12-14 pockets in total, can do more if desired.
Cut or pick the rosemary, keeping it rustic you want the rosemary long enough to poke into the lamb leg. 1 inch should work fine.
Start to fill the lamb pockets with your pre cut rosemary and garlic. Push it into the pockets securing it nicely. No method to this, it can be uniform or random as you wish.(get the kids to help with this)
Drizzle or brush the lamb with the olive oil. season with sea salt and pepper.
Once all seasoned and studded you are ready for the oven
Place in the preheated oven and cook for 1.5hr to 2hrs. Cook till desired temperature, we recommend medium. When cooking bone in cuts it may take longer to reach core temperatures.
Once out of the oven take the lemon and zest over the whole leg. cover and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes.
Slice, serve and enjoy