Ingredients for the Mashed Potatoes
- 6 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
Ingredients for the Meat Mixture
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary (1/2 sprig)
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper
Preparation of Mashed Potatoes
- Set a large pot filled with cold water over high heat. Add enough salt to the water to make it taste like the ocean. Add the potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-high. Simmer until you can slide a knife right through one of the potato pieces without any force, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pour the cooked potatoes into a large colander and shake to make sure all the water is out. Let the colander sit in the sink for 3 to 4 minutes to steam the potatoes dry.
- Put the potatoes back into the pot you cooked them in and mash. Stir the softened butter into the potatoes. Add the cream, egg, and olive oil and stir with a rubber spatula until the potato puree is silky smooth. Season with salt and pepper
Preparation of Meat Mixture
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pour in the oil, and then add the ground lamb. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the lamb is thoroughly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onions to the pan in which you cooked the lamb, along with the garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the pepper, mushrooms, and carrots and cook until the carrots are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the rosemary and cook about 1 minute. Add the meat back to the vegetable mixture.
- Pour in the red wine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the wine has reduced by half its volume. Add the chicken stock and bring it to a boil. Combine the cornstarch and water and stir until you have a thick slurry. After the chicken stock has simmered for a moment, pour in the slurry and stir the mixture thoroughly. This will thicken the liquid into gravy. Add the frozen peas, salt and pepper. Season to your liking.
- Turn on the oven to high broil. Transfer the meat and vegetable mixture to a large pie pan. Top with the potato puree. Cook under the broiler until the potatoes have turned a dark golden-brown, about 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately